I’m following bbqforum.nl for a couple of years now! This forum has been a huge source of information and inspiration for me. Q the book is a picture competition where everybody is challenged to make a creative meal. Each month another challenge comes up. This month the dish must contain Beetroot as main ingredient. A huge challenge to me since I don’t like the earthly taste… For this reason I searched how I could reduce the earthly flavours as much as possible. It seems like reached my objectives since I liked this salad a lot! I’ll make it again soon! Would you try this?
- Beetroot (5)
- 1l. apple juice
- 1kg. Salt
- 250 Gr. sugar
- grounded star anise (3)
- Cider vinegar
1. put the beetroot in apple juice for about 24h.
2. Mix salt, sugar and star anise
3. Pat the beetroot dry and put them in a scale on a ground of salt mix. Add the rest of the salt mix. Make sure everything is covered.
4. Put the salted beetroot in your BBQ/Kamado for 1h. on 150°C
5. Let the beetroot cool down in the salt crust for another hour.
6. Pour some cider vinegar (at taste) over the beetroot
7. Mix the rest of the salad (see below for ingredients)
This picture might give you an idea about the salt crust. As you can see the smoke for the bacon made it a little bit messy! This isn’t a problem at all. The touch of smoke on the scale is easy to clean and the salt crust keeps the smoke outside.
Honestly: this was the best beetroot I ever tried. Actually I have to admit this is not so hard since I mostly skip the beetroot. Though in this case I didn’t taste the earthly flavours that keep me away from it.
Mix following ingredients:
- Salt crusted beetroot
- 2 sliced Avocado
- Baked nuts
- Feta cheese
- Smoked bacon (recipe for homesmoked bacon will follow)
drop the bacon if you want to keep it vegetarian..
Please press like or share if you appreciate!